Mullet Eggs Poaching

From: “Phil Buchanan”
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:50:50 PM
Subject: Mullet

To Galt Island Avenue residents:

Illegal mullet fishermen have been operating at night in our canal the last few nights. They are after the roe of red mullet, which is called bottarga and sells for up to $116 per 2.5 oz package. They kill the females for their roe and throw the males back. The rough treatment given the males causes to them lose their slime coating and develop a fatal white fungus. That's why there are dead and dying mullets spread throughout our canal right now. Note that most of them have rings around their necks from illegal gill nets and they are covered with white splotches.

The illegal fishermen operate at night in boats painted black with no lights or identification numbers. If you see or hear one, call Florida Fish and Wildlife Law Enforcement at 1-888-404-3922.

All indications the illegal fishermen are not from Pine Island, which means they will probably move on in a few days (after they fish us out). Given that they are crooks anyway, they may also be inclined towards other crimes as well.

Phil Buchanan
3861 Galt Island Avenue
St James City, FL 33956
Phone/fax: 239-283-4067