Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010

From: Phil Buchanan >

Subject: Fwd: Please support reconstruction of the Ceitus Barrier

Below is my comments on the application for reconstruction of the Ceitus Barrier. This is a very important issue for our Southwest Florida environment, and a critical environmental issue for Matlacha, Matlacha Pass, and Pine Island.

Every individual and organization in this area should seriously consider this issue and provide comments to the DEP at the address below. I invite everyone to take a drive down Shoreview Drive (in Matlacha just west of the Sun and Moon Bed and Breakfast) and view for themselves the incredible siltation that has filled that bay since the barrier was removed. Consider also the devastating impact all that siltation and pollution is having on our environment. Consider the marine die-off that has already occured and the future of our area wildlife, as well as water quality and health issues for humans. In your opinion, is all this necessary or worthwhile? Is all this justified just to gain a few more unrestricted-access waterfront houses in Cape Coral? Why is this thus far being allowed to occur?

Once you have formed an opinion, send it to the address below and cc me a copy at coolcherokee@comcast.net. Insist also that any organizations to which you belong do the same thing. This is the environmental issue of the decade for our area--get involved or you may wish for the rest of your life that you had done so when you had the chance.

Phil Buchanan